21st February 2014- Documentary
Gulabi Gang is a 2012 Norwegian-Indian –Danish co-production documentary written and directed by Nishtha Jain and co-written and produced by Torstein Grude at Piraya Film.
Gulabi Gang: Pictures, Posters
Gulabi gang 2014 hindi documentry (film) poster 3
Gulabi gang 2014 hindi documentry (film) poster 1
Gulabi gang 2014 hindi documentry (film) poster 2
Gulabi gang 2014 hindi documentry (film) poster 4
Gulabi gang 2014 hindi documentry (film) poster 4
Gulabi Gang: Videos/ Trailers
Gulabi Gang - The Documentary - Official Theatrical Trailer
Gulaab Gang - Official Trailer | Madhuri Dixit, Juhi Chawla
|Movie Name||Gulabi Gang|
|Original Language Name||गुलाबी गैंग|
|Release Date||21st February 2014|
|Storyline||Gulabi Gang is a 2012 Norwegian-Indian –Danish co-production documentary written and directed by Nishtha Jain and co-written and produced by Torstein Grude at Piraya Film.|
|Story Summary||In Bundelkhand, India, a revolution is in the making among the poorest of the poor, as Sampat Pal Devi and the fiery women of her Gulabi Gang empower themselves and take up the fight against gender violence, caste oppression and widespread corruption. They want to change the unchangeable with an organised social action and unification. It's a picture of rural India and a story about underprivileged, especially a story of Indian women.|
|Run Time||96 Mins|
|Writer (Play)||Nishtha Jain, Torstein Grude|
|Production Company||Piraya Film A/S|
|Film Editing||Arjun Gourisaria|
|Assistant Director||Aditya Kelgaonkar|
|Co-Producer||Nishtha Jain, Anne Kohncke, Signe Byrge Sorensen|
|Production Manager||Neelima Goel|
|Film Editing (assistant)||Susanna Chacko|
|Camera (Assistant)||Aditya Kelgaonkar|
|Production (Assistant)||Karina Lavik, Nick Hegreberg|
|Distribution||Shiladitya Bora, Kudos Family(2012, worldwide, all media), Yleisradio (YLE)(2013, Finland, TV)|
|Sound (Post Production)||Mainstream ApS, Cosmo Tone|
|sound re-recording mixer||Peter Schultz|
|Associate producer||Oddleiv Vik, Bjarte Morner Tveit|
|sound effects editor||Bobby Hess|
|additional editor||Erik Andersson, Nishtha Jain(editing)|
|digital colorist||Mats Andersen|
|foley artist||Alexej Mungersdorff, Andrea King|
|additional material||Smriti Nevatia|
|commissioning editor||Mette Hoffman Meyer|
| Original Music by||Peter Scartabello|
|additional location sound||Mateen Ahmad|
|location sound||Niraj Gera|
|supervising sound editor||Peter Schultz|
|post production IT engineer||Odd Brandtzægg|
|graphics||Christopher Berge Hove|
|color grader||Tom Christer Lilletvedt|
|additional cinematographer||Torstein Grude, Chandramohan Soma|
|researcher||Laura Plotkin, Torstein Grude, Smriti Nevatia, Nishtha Jain|
|co-production||Final Cut for Real, Raintree Films|
|post-production facilities||Raintree Films, Hinterland|
Interesting Facts and Trivia
- After meeting the leader of the real Gulabi Gang, Sampat Pal, in 2009, director Nishtha Jain decided her story needed to be told. The film was put on hold, however, when they got wind that an UK-based production company had got an exclusivity contract to make a film about the Gulabi Gang (The film was called Pink Saris and was released in 2010).
- The film has received the Best Film on Social Issues, and the Best Non-Feature Film editing at the 61st National Film Awards.
- In February 2010 Nishtha Jain, joined hands with Torstein Grude, Producer, Piraya Film, Norway. Torstein Grude had also independently developed a project on the Gulabi Gang.
- After running a very successful festival circuit and winning several awards including the Best Film, MuhrAsia Documentary at the Dubai International Film Festival, Gulabi Gang found a distributor for India in Sohum Shah and his company Recyclewala Labs. The release was on February 21, 2014.
- Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN (rating: 3.5/5) stated "Jain's film is a deeply affecting work that reminds us of the vulnerability of women in rural India."
- Mohar Basu of KoiMoi (rating: 3.5/5) said "Jain carries me with her daunting journey that I will hold on to for many years probably. The instances were revolting, the tall talks about women’s morality – a sham and the despite the distressing situations – Gulabi Gang is a ray of hope, brimming with optimism to change the stringent attitudes with galvanizing ferociousness."
- A Bollywood masala film directed by Soumik Sen, titled Gulaab Gang is a dramatization of Sampat's Pal story, starring actresses Madhuri Dixit and Juhi Chawla. The film is slated for a release on March 7, 2014. When asked about the Bollywood film, Gulabi Gang director Nishtha Jain stated "I don’t think a commercial movie can capture the colour, nuance and immediacy or the raw and edgy quality of the ‘real’ which you’ll see in my film."
- Anupama Chopra of Hindustan Times (rating: 3.5/5) claimed "The documentary, Gulabi Gang is a record of an extraordinary women’s movement started by the extraordinary Sampat Pal Devi in Uttar Pradesh in 2006."
- Producer Anubhav Sinha discredited any source stating that his fictional film was based on Sampat Pal's life, stating that "It's a woman's fight for women's rights who ends up fighting another woman. The film is not inspired by Sampat Pal at all."
Similar/ Related Movies