► Watch Movie
(ओम डार बा डार)
17th January 2014- Philosophical, Political, Mythology
The film, about the adventures of a school boy named Om along with his family, is set in Ajmer and Pushkar in Rajasthan, and employs nonlinear narrative and an absurdist storyline to satire mythology, arts, politics and philosophy.
Om-Dar-Ba-Dar: Pictures, Posters
Om dar-b-dar (1988) hindi film poster
Om dar-b-dar (1988) hindi film poster 2
Om-Dar-Ba-Dar: Videos/ Trailers
Official Trailer of om-dar-ba-dar movie 1988. released on Jan 17, 2014.
|Original Language Name||ओम डार बा डार|
|Alternative Names||Om Dar Ba Dar , Om Dar-B-Dar|
|Release Date||17th January 2014|
|Storyline||The film, about the adventures of a school boy named Om along with his family, is set in Ajmer and Pushkar in Rajasthan, and employs nonlinear narrative and an absurdist storyline to satire mythology, arts, politics and philosophy.|
|Story Summary||Om-Dar-Ba-Dar is a portrait of life in Ajmer town, Rajasthan. The film tells the story of a young boy named Om in the period of his carefree adolescence and its harsh disillusions. The story starts as a comedy and ends as a thriller. Om has a rather strange family. His father, Babuji, a government employee, leaves his job so that he can dedicate himself to astrology; Om's older sister, Gayatri, is dating a good-for-nothing fellow. Om is involved in science, but is also attracted to magic and religion. In all it seems that his really outstanding skill is his ability to hold his breath for a long time.|
|Run Time||101 Mins|
Interesting Facts and Trivia
- It went into a digital restoration project funded by the National Film Development Corporation of India (NFDC). Eventually, the digitally-restored version was released on January 17, 2014, by PVR Cinemas in metro cities.
- Although the film was never released or seen in India during its initial rounds at the film festivals, Om-Dar-Ba-Dar has in the past 20 years gained a huge cult following and fame amongst film critics, scholars, industry insiders and cinephiles alike.
- In 2013, National Film Development Corporation of India (NFDC) had planned an official national release of a digitally restored print of the film. The film finally released in Indian theaters after 26 years, on January 17, 2014.
- The film can also be looked at as a jab at mainstream Indian cinema, and many of the themes and images in the film are direct satires of conventions of Bollywood filmmaking.
- it was never commercially released in India, only a video release. The film received renewed attention when it was screened at Experimenta, an experimental film festival in Mumbai in 2005.
- The movie was described by its director Kamal Swaroop as a story of Lord Brahma, and it sprouted from the idea that in Hinduism, although Lord Brahma was considered the father of the entire universe, strangely no one ever worshiped him. Swaroop also said that the film's script was written based solely on dreams and images that he had and claimed he "cannot think in words."
- The film was made on abudget of Rs. 10 lakhs. It had its premiere at the Berlin Film Festival in 1988, and was played at the film festival circuit and even became a cult film.
- One of the first serious articles about the film was written on the film blog The Seventh Art. The blog stated, "Swaroop’s film is an antithesis to whatever is recognized globally as Indian cinema – a reason good enough to make Om-Dar-Ba-Dar a must-see movie" and that the movie can be defined as many things, the most popular of them "the great Indian LSD trip."
- Director Anurag Kashyap also mentioned on his film blog that in his directorial venture Dev.D, the song "Emotional Attyachar" was inspired in its music and staging from the song "Meri Jaan" in Om-Dar-Ba-Dar.
- Director Imtiaz Ali mentioned the vast amount of influence that the film had on aspiring independent directors in Indian cinema, stating that Om-Dar-Ba-Dar is "like old wine" and "antiquated because of the 25-year delay in its release".
Similar/ Related Movies
a 2014 movie
by Nishtha Jain|
Actors & Actresses: Sampat Pal Devi, Ram Dulari, Devrati
a 2014 movie
by Saad Khan|
Actors & Actresses: Gulshan Grover, Abhinav Pandey, Kanika Batra
Thriller, Drama, Crime
a 2014 movie
by Girish Malik|
Actors & Actresses: Tannishtha Chatterjee, Saidah Jules, Purab Kohli
a 2014 movie
by Feroz Abbas Khan|
Actors & Actresses: Satish Kaushik, Tanvi Azmi, Vinay Jain